March 4, 2014

Lessons from a death row pen pal

My friend Richard turns 42 this year on Ash Wednesday.  There will be no "likes" or a plethora of birthday comments.  This makes sense given that Richard is an inmate on Texas death row.  I've been writing him for over 11 years and we've exchanged hundreds of letters.  He is one of God's greatest gifts to me. 


Richard knows how much I love the Catholic church.  He knows the loopholes I went through to get a rosary and bible blessed and into the prison for him.  He sees JMJ at the top of every letter I write and the cross with a heart as my trademark signature.  He'll read the verse that was on my mind at the time of a letter and he respects how integral daily mass is in my life.  He reads the wisdom I receive from priests and share with him.   He  is always open to praying with me at our visits.

He told me once at a visit, almost trying to break it to me as a decent friend would, "Annie, you are never going to meet anyone like you."  This made me smile because I know he is wrong.  I have met young adults in Kansas City that want to love Jesus more and more each day like me.  They strive for holiness and want to work to try and be a better person.

I encounter young adults who are devoted to daily mass and love the Eucharist like me.  I have girlfriends that pray the rosary with me in cemeteries for fun and peace of mind.  I observe young adults moving to the MeyerCatholic Quarter to be in men and women households to build community.  I witness young adults pack the Little Sisters of the Lamb Monastery for a prayer vigil until 3 a.m.  I join young adults through St. Paul's Outreach to praise the Lord together in worship.  I see the success of over a hundred people playing Catholic Challenge Sports and building team unity.  I watch young adults flood Tuesdays at the Boulevard for mass and go to Reservoir for adoration during the week.  I volunteer with CatholicYoung Patrons to bring dinner to homeless men at Shalom House on a Friday night.  I see the Sacred Heart of Jesus image in a friends house for a bible study on a Sunday afternoon.  I see in all these people the JOY of the Gospel.

I don't know why it takes me having a death row pen pal to be reminded of the unique gift of the young adult Catholic community in Kansas City.  They are helping me on the road to heaven!


 Happy 42nd Richard.  Don't worry. They do exist. Thanks for the reminder, Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts and comments should be marked by Christian charity and respect for the truth. They should be on topic and presume the good will of other posters. Discussion should take place primarily from a faith perspective. No ads please.