July 16, 2014

Encountering the Other




I went to Canada this summer and encountered a new saint and friend at St. Josephs Oratory in Montreal.  This is the story of Br. Andre that I would like to share with you.

He was a simple man with a devotion to St. Joseph and love for the Lord.  He was a doorkeeper at the college.  He was assigned the smallest of roles to serve his religious community. “My superiors assigned me to the door and there I stayed for 40 years.”  He was completely obedient to what was asked of him. You may find more of his story here.

I was struck by how he lived his life.  He opened the door and greeted others.  He was attentive and listened to them.  He gave himself tirelessly for people. He had a heart for all those he encountered and was completely present to their needs.  Over 1 million people attended the funeral of this simple porter.

He is an ever-endearing model and reminder for me to be little and simplify my own life.  His life reflects the wonders God can do in a humble and loving heart.  I am often tempted to complicate unimportant things.  St. Andre reminds me to encounter Christ by simply being present to others. 

Thank you Br. Andre for your friendship, your story, and welcoming all those you encountered with gracious hospitality.


Pray that we may encounter each person like you did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts and comments should be marked by Christian charity and respect for the truth. They should be on topic and presume the good will of other posters. Discussion should take place primarily from a faith perspective. No ads please.